This position serves as the primary developer of our carbide cutting tools for our manufacturing firm. The position is responsible for R & D of new cutting tools, inspecting various aspects of our manufactured tools insuring they are to printed specifications. Under the supervision of the Senior Tooling Engineer the Tooling Engineer will ensure the quality of our tools through the use of equipment such as AutoCAD, Zoller Inspection Equipment, micrometers, calipers and other various inspection equipment. The focus of this position is to ensure new and innovative tool design and our existing tools are of the best possible quality for our customers.
- Uses AutoCAD & similar programs to design new carbide cutting tools for organization.
- Inspects tools to required specifications looking for discrepancies using tool prints and inspection equipment.
- Works with the Senior Tooling Engineer and Manufacturing Plant Manager to design and enhance new and existing carbide cutting tools.
- Recommends tools based on materials being cut or drilled.
- Uses inspection equipment to ensure all tools and designs are to required specifications.
- Understand how to read production drawings, product requirements on the traveler, and know what critical characteristics are.
- Able to record measurements taken using micrometers and calipers and other inspection equipment.
- Monitor the operation of inspection equipment ensuring machines are operating safely and is producing a quality part.
- Can adjust inspection equipment according to dimensional non-conformity.
- Report any machine malfunction or safety condition.
- Maintain work area (housekeeping).
- Other tasks as directed by management.
- Must have a MINIMUM of 10 years in carbide cutting tool manufacturing, specifically in tool design.
- Complete familiarity with common and exotic materials being milled with carbide cutting tools.
- Ability to recommend Speeds and Feeds based on material being cut and tool being recommended.
- The ability to work closely with others in a team orientated work environment.
- Must be able to verbally communicate, read and comprehend written and verbal instructions, detailed drawings and documents, and be capable of doing mathematical calculations.
- Able to work in a loud environment.
- Able to work extended hours as required.
- Previous tooling inspection experience preferred but not required.
- A Bachelors or Master’s degree in Engineering a plus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, various hand tools such as wrenches, plyers, sockets, etc., and load tools in CNC Grinding machines. The employee is required to stand, walk, sit, and reach with hands and arms frequently.